Only 9 weeks 3 days today to go till IRXC2017!
- Training: I hope your training has started ok. The first few weeks are crucial for you to set a strong base for racing later. The next few weeks should be quite tiring – so don’t worry if it seems tough work – it will get results! Lots of strong aerobic running is the key, either running just below race pace (A – Aerobic running) for the runs over your race distance, running at Race pace ( L- time trials or racing on Saturdays) for race distance or faster than race pace (B- Fartlek running with 1 -2 minute efforts) for shorter than race distance. A reminder you will get a hard copy of the programme this Wednesday. For a fuller description of training codes – see later below.
- Team Fees: A reminder that team fees are due to be paid by this Wednesday, 26 July.This includes the team fee of $240 (or $260 with training shirt) and any uniform parts you have ordered. Team fees need to be paid by BANK TRANSFER ONLY – Lyn and Penny do not want any cash or chequeson the night. If there is any problem, please contact Penny Martin asap. See all info. below that was in the team selection letter:
Payment of $240 (or $260) is required by the first team meeting on Wednesday 27 July. Payment includes a non-refundable fee of $50 (to cover any non-refundable costs incurred). Payment can be made directly to the Primary Sports Canterbury Cross Country account:031783 0153007 03. Please include your child’s name as a reference so that we know who has paid. No cash or cheques. Should you need to arrange other payment terms please contact Penny Martin on 373 5058 or email@example.com.
- Team Meeting – Wednesday 26 July We will see you all this Wednesday!!! 7.00pm sharp Hillview Christian School Gymnasium, 150 Wilsons Road, St. Martins – map see: HLCS. There is parking down the drive, in front of the gym or at 125 Wilsons Road (our Senior Campus) or on Wilsons Road) – if you come earlier you can get some of your things earlier and hand in your forms – Medical/Behaviour/Consent Forms and Payment Forms (attached again if you have lost them – see here: PSC CC Team Behaviour and Payment forms). All money should have been transferred by now. We will try to finish by 8.00pm so you can get home early. You will get your Canterbury singlet (on loan) – this can only be worn at Club and Inter-Club events with the permission of your club. Hopefully you will also get your track suit jacket (on loan), your training tee (to be worn at all training sessions) and also Polo shirt.
- PHOTOGRAPHER NEEDED for the above meeting to take team member photos- please let me know if you can help out. Just a head/shoulders shot of each child
- First Team Training: 4.30pm-5.15pm Monday 31 July at Halswell Quarry – meet in the main carpark. This will be the first time we get together to train. When you arrive, please tick off your name on the team attendance roll (your captain will help with this). We start right on 4.30pm with warm – ups!! We will run on the grass and then on the Quarry Track that has gravel.
- Training Codes:
Monday: B – which is “fartlek” running or in the case this week, structured fartlek. There are no distances, just times. After a bit of a 5 minute jog and some dynamic stretching (see DS ) – ie leg swings, lunges etc. Run hard for a minute – hard is faster than your 2 or 3km pace – but not sprinting, as you need to do 6 or 8! – then jog for 2 minutes before repeating. Try no to run on the road and if possible in a park or somewhere and not on a track. This is a tough session. When finished jog and do some static stretches. (see SS) . This session gets you fit, builds endurance and also is teaching your body to run at a faster sped than you race.
Tuesday – R = REST – your body needs to recover!!!
Wednesday – L = Time Trial – this session is like a practice of your race distance. It is teaching your body to run over the distance that you are going to race and it is also a practice of pace judgement. A time trial is never as intensive as a race and the actual “time” doesn’t matter – it is the full on effort that counts. Warm up with a jog and Dynamic stretching and have a 2km or 3km (1km lap ideally) course ready to go (or 9-10 minutes or 12-14 minutes of running). The time trial is done at race pace. If possible the terrain should be the same as Wellington – up and down, a few gravel paths etc. With a time trial – you don’t need to sprint in, just go hard the whole way. If possible, try to see if you can keep an even pace by timing each 1km lap. After you have finished, warm down with a slow jog and static stretching. A time trial can be run in spikes or your racing shoes if you have them.
Thursday – A – Aerobic Running This is running at 70-80% of your race pace – so not jogging but a steady pace or strong running. It is for a longer distance to build up your endurance. Don’t go too fast at the start as you may run out of steam. You should feel “tired” at the end. It is purposely longer (twice as long) as your race and is over distance.The “talk rule” is a good indication of pace – you should be able to talk as you run. This sort of run is great to do with another team member – so maybe email/call someone from your contact list.
Friday – R Rest of or some small sprints (F) for Year 7/8 – optional 4 x 80m sprints with some jogging between. Practising relaxed running style is always beneficial.
Saturday – L or Race – some of the club runners have races and the rest of you need a time trial again. Remember warm up and down and if racing – some 40m stride outs before you start to get you ready for sprinting.
Sunday – A – Aerobic Running – your longest run of the week and the real “bread and butter” of your training along with Thursday. Try to find someone to go with (see our contact list) and try a new venue – like Bottle Lake Forest, Harry Ell Walkway, Hagley Park, Groynes to Roto Kohatu etc. Concentration on some strong running but for up to 3 x the time length of your race…a bit slower than Thursday but still a good effort!
That is about it…..have you set your goals yet for the IRXC2017?
Really looking forward to meeting you all on Wednesday.